Thursday, June 26, 2008

George Carlin - RIP it up!




He did a lot more than Seven Words... no-one in the UK seems to have heard of him - I feel lucky to have heard and seen a lot of recordings. Check out his website.



Reactions and links all over the Internet - check this blog - or Rotten with the only thing people remember: The Seven Words routine:

"There are 400,000 words in the English language," Carlin mused. "And there are seven of them that you can't say on television. What a ratio that is. 399,993 to seven. They must really be bad. You know the seven don't you? Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that will infect your soul, curve your spine and keep the country from winning the war. I can dig why some of those words got on the list, like cocksucker and motherfucker. Those are heavyweight words. There's a lot going on there, man. Besides the literal translation and the emotional feeling. They're just busy words. There's a lot of syllables to contend with. And those K's. Those are aggressive sounds, they jump out at you. Forget those seven, they're out. But, there are some two-way words. You can prick your finger -- but you can't finger your prick."

or fUSION Anomaly - fo a slightly wider scan of his material, than that puritanical obsession.

3 comments:

Ragu said...

Really?

I figured for sure he'd be more appreciated in Great Britain.

Fuck!

Bogus Magus said...

Unlike Bill Hicks, I don't think he ever came over here.

I owe it to RAW to offer a mention of his name, then I came across the Playboy interview (I think) - this was all pre-internet - couldn't buy albums, or see him on tv.

I think the Brits would have loved him (and sombunall of us do).

The Purple Gooroo said...

R.I.P. Mr Carlin--I posted my own eulogy over at "Blog Is Not.."

You'd be surprised how many (younger) Americans have never heard of him either.

Very funny man.

Webring

Member of the NEW TRAJECTORIES webring